We run workshops and talks by artists from Berlin and beyond, for individuals and pre existing groups. Our workshops are trans-disciplinary and collaborative; theoretical and practical, taught usually by two tutors from different disciplines, with an emphasis on conversation and face to face learning.
SELL YOUR ART ONLINE: A 4 WEEK HANDS-ON COURSE FOR PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS - with Rachel Marsden from the Great Creative Life.
4 weeks on Tuesdays from 16th May until 6th June 2017.
INFO: There are so many opportunities for artists to sell their work online these days. There is no reason to be limited by location anymore and thanks to the internet you can connect with art buyers across the globe. This is great news for Berlin based artists looking to expand their reach and work independently or alongside traditional career paths.
This four week arts business crash course will give you the tools, knowledge and strategies to start selling your work online straight away in a smart, meaningful way without feeling like you’re selling out. You’ll learn how to build connections with buyers, rather than ‘selling’ to them.
There will case studies on what works and doesn’t work for independent artists and a lecture by Elly Clarke on Alternative Funding Strategies.
In this in-person group workshop you will have the opportunity to draw on the ideas of your fellow participants, collaborate and connect with other artists on the same path as you.
What You’ll Learn:
• Introduction to business models for artists, particularly the independent artist’s business model
• Introduction to selling prints and originals
• Craft your ‘Unique Value Statement’ so you have a clear picture on what you are really selling as an artist
• Learn how to identify your ideal buyers who will absolutely love your work and what you stand for as an artist.
• Sweet-spot pricing - a method for pricing your work so you never have to wonder if you have your pricing ‘right’ or not
• How to connect with your audience online - from your website to your social media presence to seeking out PR opportunities.
• Overview of online ‘launch’ methods to generate interest in your work without having to shell-out the expensive costs of running a real world exhibition.
• Logistics of selling online - overcome the fear of all ‘that admin stuff’ like postage, invoicing, tax etc.
• Stop blocking sales! Learn how to communicate confidently about your work and pricing so that you can make sales of your work with ease.
We will be doing hands on activities throughout the course so that by the end of the four weeks you will have a basic business and marketing strategy and can start selling your work online with confidence.
Who This is For:
• Visual artists, photographers or other artists who would like to sell their work online (if it can be put in the post or downloaded, it can be sold online)
• You have a body of artwork ready to go that you are prepared to part with ;)
• You may be a complete beginner when it comes to online arts business or you have been dabbling a bit in social media and have a website but have been struggling to make sales
• Some basic computer skills are necessary particularly around social media and it is helpful if you already have a website.
Who this isn’t for
• Anyone looking for a quick fix, while it doesn’t take long to start making sales online, it’s not likely to bring you a full income for quite some time.
• Anyone only in it for building their social media numbers. We will provide strategies for increasing your audience organically but there is no magic formula for building ‘numbers’ and large numbers aren’t necessary, only happy, human fans.
• Anyone who doesn’t have art that is ready to go.
• In order to apply please email artschoolberlin [at] gmail.com with examples of your work, a CV if you have one and why you'd like to do this course.
• Places are limited and applications will be assessed on a first-in basis.
• Payment via Eventbrite upon acceptance onto the course.
• Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday 5th May 12 noon.
Key Dates and Location
Course dates: 16th May, 23rd May, 30th May, 6th June 2017
Time: 18.00-21.00 with a 20 minute break.
Location: Neukoelln/Kreuzberg - details provided to participants
Price: 240 Euros, 225 Earlybird until 21st April
About Rachel Marsden
Rachel Marsden is an artist coach, arts business nerd, photographer and art therapist. She lives an unconventional life between Australia and Berlin working on various creative projects and helping others do the same.
She is especially passionate about helping artists find meaningful, value-oriented career pathways so that they can have the freedom to make more art.
Writing and Photography Workshop with Julia Bell and Elly Clarke at FotoKlubKollectiv, November 2016. Photos: Elly Clarke